Controller, US Operations
Company: Valard Construction LP
Posted on: January 15, 2022
Valard is Canada's premier utility contractor, as well as head
of the Valard Group of Companies and part of the Quanta Group, the
largest electrical power contractor in North America. Valard has
full-service capabilities for transmission, distribution,
substations, foundations, telecommunications and renewable
Valard has an extensive backlog of upcoming high profile major
projects. The Controller will lead the cost control, project
accounting and operational finance function on major project(s) as
designated. This role will work closely supporting the Operations,
Finance, and Executive teams on major projects across Valard. You
will be a key member of the team that successfully executes this
challenging and extensive backlog. This is a high profile, high
visibility position where senior leadership from both Quanta
Services and Valard will rely on this individual for accurate and
timely accounting and reporting for the duration of the
- Monitor accounting systems to ensure proper reporting, security
- Oversee and identify project variances and report to management
recommended actions, i.e.: margin adjustments, change order
requests, claims development.
- Maintain current and forecasted cash flow data compared to how
the project was bid.
- Coordinate the preparation of all customer invoices per
contract requirements and develop a good working relationship with
your customer counterpart so you can ensure payments are made
- Maintain change order and claims log and follow up regularly on
- Prepare a detailed project forecast based on the WBS using a
crew based approach in alignment with an earned value/CPI based
- Prepare a monthly reporting package which details key financial
KPI's, risks and opportunities to the current forecast, cash flow
- Support Project Director/Project manager in project financial
management and divisional reporting.
- Liaison with insurance to make sure all project insurance is in
- Manage with treasury if applicable that all parent guarantees,
performance bonds and L/C's are in place when required and
cancelled or reduced as the project progresses and/or
- Special projects as required.
First year success
- Continued development and implementation of policies and
processes. Build a plan to ensure world class mega-project
accounting principles are in place.
Skills, knowledge, and experience:
- Minimum 5 years of direct experience leading the project
accounting for large complex construction/EPC projects.
- Proven large project construction/EPC financial management
experience including budgeting, forecasting, change management,
reporting & analysis, cash flow development, revenue recognition
and detailed WIP analysis
- Strong project accounting experience including percentage of
- Successful track record of operating in a multifunctional
environment collaborating with project delivery functions
(engineering, constructions, operations, supply chain management,
etc.) to understand, analyze and document project scope and cost
- Experience with tracking labor productivity and commodity
- Experience in tracking daily and weekly physical progress and
earned value calculations. Strong Microsoft Office skills
particularly Excel as well as an aptitude for learning other
specialized financial/project software packages.
- Able to assess, interpret and apply government, industry and
company standards and specifications as required.
- Good working knowledge of contracts administration.
- Experience with working with subcontractors which may be
intercompany or third party providers
- Knowledge and experience utilizing JD Edwards considered an
- Highly organized with the ability to manage competing
priorities and tight deadlines in a fast paced environment.
- Excellent leadership skills and a big-picture method to
- Bachelor's Degree in a related discipline (Finance or
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or Construction Management may
- CPA Designation is required
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
Valard Construction is an equal opportunity employer, committed to
a diverse workforce. We offer a competitive salary and a complete
range of employee benefits.
We thank all applicants for their interest. All applications will
be reviewed to determine which candidates' education and experience
best meets the needs of the position. Only individuals selected for
interviews will be contacted.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature
and level of work being performed by the incumbent(s) of this job.
They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all
responsibilities and activities required of the position.
Keywords: Valard Construction LP, Henderson , Controller, US Operations, Accounting, Auditing , Henderson, Nevada
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!